[Close window]

DOCTOR/HEALTH PERSONNEL: Contact a doctor or other public health personnel to assess any physical injuries or abuse. It is extremely important to report any physical abuse and to NOT just keep it to yourself. Many women do not tell public health personnel that bruises or scars are a result of violence perpetrated by the husband/partner or another assailant. They might either be afraid to involve strangers in family problems, or the assailant may have threatened them to not tell anyone about it. Public health personnel are trained to recognize signs of violence and to provide the victim with the health she needs.