Image: Social Networking and Identity

Add your Comment >

The LAB
The LAB
United States

Social Networking and Identity

U.K. based photographer and multimedium artist Christine Webster examines the ways in which teenage girls use social networking tools to construct their identities, and the ways that, in turn, their identities are constructed by social networking tools. She looks at this phenomenon in the U.K., China, and now the U.S. She will be in San Francisco through January 16 and her fascinating exhibition on this topic opens on January 8 at The Lab.
http://www.thelab.org/events/414-transitions.html

()
Michael DeLong
Michael DeLong
United States

Frameworks

Social networking and identity really is a fascinating topic. I tend not to draw a distinction between "real" and "virtual" identities necessarily. Whereas it is true that our "virtual" identities are enabled and/or disabled by various frameworks established by technology, our "real" identities, too, are conditioned by frameworks we are so used to they are practically invisible. Etiquette, societal norms, convention - these are all an architecture that supports (or undermines) our identities.

I think in the younger generations, the frameworks of social networking are probably becoming similarly invisible as they integrate into daily life.

I really look forward to seeing this exhibition at The Lab! Christine Webster sounds fascinating.

Tags: No tags found.