Religion and Spirituality: Does God only speak Arabic?

Add your Comment >

Does God only speak Arabic?

I ask why ????????????
My aunty was beaten badly
By her husband one day
I asked why?????
She refused sex
She was crying
I was told
Women are not supposed to refuse sex to their husbands
Husbands are breadwinners
Wives are home makers
Wives make husbands happy..

I did not know that my clitoris was cut
At the age of six
I wanted to cry
I wanted to fight
I asked why?????
Who the hell cut my body?
My mother said that
Muslim girl should obey the rituals

My grandfather had nine wives
I asked why?????
I asked where my nine grandfathers are
My mother hit me
“Watch out – shut up your big mouth”
I was gagged
I did not wear veils
Why I should cover my face
I wanted to emerge
My face was blooming
Why I hide my face
I asked why?????
I was told not to talk too much
Not to read foreign books
I was told
God only speak Arabic
Not English
Quran is your constitution
Your law book, they said
I ask why?????
Does God only speak Arabic?
All these time I asked why?
Today I am asking why
Tomorrow I will ask why
I will not stop asking why?????????

This poem I wrote during the class on Culture, Human rights and Gender Justice based on a story that I heard from one of my colleagues. Femininity is subjected to hegemonic masculinity with militarization, fundamentalism and extremism. Therefore gender justice is impossible to achieve unless all preconceived extreme prejudices against women are eliminated.

Roszita
Roszita
Malaysia

Misconception of heavily culturalized religion vs the better way to live

I applaud you for the brave poem from you Shamila. I understand the struggles women in your part of the world to seek justice and rights, and to fight discriminating laws imposed on them. But on the other side of the world, there are countries that embrace the same religion, but the laws are executed firmly, and with justice and thoughtful consideration for all genders and mankind. Cultures and customs are manifested through good faith abiding within the laws of the religion. The 'bad' customs, that were traditionally hand over through generations, are gradually abolished, through awareness of building better society. But nevertheless, there are traditional societies that are too inclined and obsessed by customs and traditions because they are pressured up by society's expectation, and not sincerely living by the rules of the religion. When these ignorance is practiced over years and centuries, the society will have to deal with intermix law of culture and religion as the ultimate law for them.
So the problem lies on the issue of culture, and not on religion. Religion is brought into this world intentionally to guide mankind and womankind to lead better lives, and make use of the opportunity and resources given to them.

As for seeking gender justice, the original laws of the religion have set a special place for women, and women are never to be discriminated,or treated unjustly. It is because of customs, and culture that creates stereotypes role that women must mould into that made injustice and equality. To change this in this in your country, an awareness should be brought by religion vs the culture, and not be feminism vs culture/religion.

Peace.

Deleted User

I think your words speak in a very loud and forward tone -in an impressive way-. In my own humble opinion, I believe all 3 religions that are sent by god for all people, Judaism, Christianity and Islam, are peaceful and don't discriminate against race,color,sex..etc. Islam means peace and to say that the religion ''Islam'' discriminates against women is by itself a contradiction. Extreme actions like cutting the woman's clitoris, beating women up and treating women unequally are not mentioned in the two sources of Islam, neither in the Qura'n nor in the Sunna. These actions may be inherited or learned and passed from one generation to the next thus we call them ''traditions''.

Religion knows no language and people shouldn't be labeled under a certain category to be allowed to practice what they choose to follow.

Tags: No tags found.