Human Rights: Body as Strategy

Add your Comment >

Body as Strategy

In “Laugh of the Medusa,” Helene Cixous writes, “We’ve been turned from our bodies, shamefully taught to ignore them, to strike them with that stupid sexual modesty....” And later adds, “Why so few texts? Because so few women have as yet won back their body. Women must write through their bodies, they must invent the impregnable language that will wreck partitions, classes and rhetorics, regulations and codes, they must submerge, cut through, get beyond the ultimate reverse-discourse, including the one that laughs at the very idea of pronouncing the word ‘silence’, the one that, aiming for the impossible, stops short before the word ‘impossible’ and writes it as ‘the end.’”

From Women in Black to Greenham Common, many women you meet in Women, Power and Politics have used their bodies as political statements.

What do you think of their strategies? How effective is the body as a vehicle for social change? How are they literally writing with their bodies?

using observation as the political activity - the women in black protest asks the audience to observe and the greenham common protest was largely an act of observation - the women understand the power of being looked at and the power of looking - it's a very simple tool and reiterates the politics and the reality of the gaze

numbers is important, not possible with one body or woman alone. even Ingrid Mwangi admits to this when she decides to join her identity as an artist with her husband's.

Shorty Greene
Shorty Greene
United States

Body as Strategy

I defiantly think that the ways in which some of the women in the articles used their body was very effective in conveying a message. Ingrid Mwangi is a clear example of that as well as Belgrade, Women in Black. For the Women in Black they physically are displaying the constraint the Orthodox Church is trying to put on the female form. By using their body's these woman conveyed--self-containment, self-consciousness, modesty, timidness and by removal of their clothes... they then showed the effects of lifting of this weight of someone else views. It was a taking back of their body. I was awed. The body is certainly a great tool to use since it is owned by you.

Negar
Negar
United States

Neither whores nor Saints

What interested me most about this article was the way in which the Women in Black use their bodies to perform. The performance is a new and expressive way to protest an issue that would be easily over looked. This relates to Virgina Woolf's performance in "A Room of One's Own," she too was aware that in order to protest such a rooted topic one need to find an new way to rebel.

Negar
Negar
United States

Confronting Ugly with Ugly

When first reading the article I was startled to find out such a large number of woman experienced domestic violence. Many issues of violence, emotional and physical, are not spoken of due to the fact that it usually takes place in the private sphere of woman's lives. Creating a constructive dialog is not an easy task, however, Kikkut Advertising Agency found a way to push a private topic into a public forum. I find their campaign extremely effective, by showing woman from all walks of life being victims of violence.

Bailey G
Bailey G
United States

I feel that with the "Women In Black" story, women were literally writing on their bodies through performance. Sometimes words are not necessary ways of communicating a topic. Visuals can translate to anyone, no matter what language or culture they originally come from. I like their strategies of social change. Especially with the "Women In Black" article. Sometimes we need to do something dramatic (like take off all our clothes) in order to bring attention to a topic. Or we can just make a rucus by pulling down a fence in Pat Bailey's case. So, like I said before. We don't always have to write with words because there are so many other ways to visually get the point across.

talia sadie
United States

the body

i feel like the body is an essential tool to use in any piece. it is available to us and it is the one piece of "property" that we can individually own for ourselves. i feel that the women in the "women in black" protest use the body in apreformance piece perfectly. they take back what rightfully belongs to them and protest that they should not be told how or have restrictions on what they are allowed to wear. by using their bodies they take power from the orthodox church by peacefully showing they own their bodies and they can do with them as they please.

Negar
Negar
United States

Body as Art

Similar to Marina Abramovic, Ingrid is a conceptual performance artist. She uses her body to express primal reactions to issues concerning sex, race and the need to be socially aware. After looking at her work I began to ask myself a few question. Who is her audience? Does she reach those who would be most affect by her work? As a slender woman, does she perpetuate body image issues? I don't necessarily have answers to these question but would like to see what others thought.

steven7
United States

Online Dating

I never thought like that but I have a thought love and Romance story. I am looking for woman to love. I am searching for it in internet. But I did not get. I have a dream on it. There are so many love and Romance stories. Everyone falls in love anytime. I think nobody live without love and romance in the world in my point of view.
http://www.talkingdating.com

Negar
Negar
United States

Kidnapping A Candidate

I can only express pure shock after reading "Kidnapping A Candidate." The amount of pain that Ingrid Betancourt went through is absolutely unfathomable! It is a tragedy that such extreme acts of terrorism occurs when one is trying to do good and create a better life for citizens of a country. I have read similar stories of individuals taken hostage in Iran for being politically active against the Regime. Recently an American Iranian graduate student from Columbia went to Iran to write her thesis on the oppression woman face. The regime arrested her, kept her hostage, and finally let her free to only be exiled from her country. Like Ingrid Betancourt, it is important to continue the fight and not be silenced.

Negar
Negar
United States

Fasting for Justice

Fasting has always been a religious practice, and it seems to me that Irom Sharmila is using her spirituality, as well as her body, to be politically active. Although I understand and admire her bounden duty, it is difficult for me to believe this is an effective way to repeal the AFSPA. In order for it to have some effect her bounden duty needs to receive a good amount of press to spark other political activity against the AFSPA. Using her body and spirituality is a smart tactic, however, gathering more people to do the same would bring more pressure to the AFSPA.

Negar
Negar
United States

Fashion is Political

Through out the article it was made clear that showing to much femininity is to bold of an act as a female politician. Robin Givhan said "Women have a disadvantage in politics because they don't have a uniform to hide behind." The real problem is that woman in politics are still force to assimilate to the male's uniform of ideas and standards. Creating a male centered idea of what a politician should be like, and therefore what a politician should look like.

catherinecarter85
American Samoa

even Ingrid Mwangi admits to this when she decides to join her identity as an artist with her husband's.

[url=http://pret-auto.org][color=#E2E2E2][u]pret auto[/u][/color][/url]

Tags: Body