Current Issues: A woman's right to wear Hijab

Add your Comment >

A woman's right to wear Hijab

In Denmark the debate about the Muslim hijab has reached a new high.

Especially due to a very brave politician by the name of Asmaa Abdol-Hamid, the discussion of hijabs in public office and in court houses is raging.

It seems to me that women in feminist circles are much divided on this issue, and so am I. On one hand I completely follow the argument that a woman's right to wear a head-scarf for religious reasons is untouchable. On the other hand, many a feminist would call the hijab a very powerful symbol of the suppression of women.

Since we cannot know for sure which women put on the hijab for what reasons, what solutions could there be to a conflict of this kind?

Asmaa Abdol-Hamid (Scanpix for Kristeligt Dagblad)
Henryrugal
United States Virgin Islands

Brave Politician

I hope all girl,tin, woman wear full complete Hijab (on soon) and it's well in the world.
especially thanks Asmaa Abdul-hamid go ahade i full support and my company [url=http://www.shipblueocean.com/services/fcl.cfm]Full Container Load[/url]

Ibelieve we should accept people as who they are& that mutual respect& acceptance of our diversity,,that what made us humans
Iwish if people start to think about women who wear hijab as normal free-well women who had taken the choice to wear the hijab them selves not forced by any one or by their traditions .
women who are very talanted ,intellegant and active ,gie us the chance to live because this hijab is covering our body not our soul. I wonder why people can accept anacked women but when comes to hijab as if we commited acrime .
Iam muslim ,Ieven covered my face but this is not an obstacle in my way,I am proud of that but also idid not hate ,judge or disscriminate other women

Manuela
Manuela
Brazil

"I feel unsafe every time I leave my apartment and I sometimes wonder if I would enjoy more freedom and peace of mind if I wore hijab." I'm with Renee, I wondered that often too, but what kind of freedom do you have if you have to hide in order not to be harassed. I think of religion like Thomas, a tool of patriarchal society (I mean even god is male!) so I do want to respect the right to everyone's individuality, but even the premise of wearing a veil as a means to protect women is revealing of how much women have to fear from men. And they shouldn't.

Rashida Saadiya
Rashida Saadiya
United States

I believe this ongoing debate forces us to accept oppressive narratives as normal. We are seeking out imbalanced solutions, assuming that one who covers in hijab does not relate or take part in feminist movement. We also assume that the current voice of feminism speaks for all women. We all hold the right to cover in any manner that feels comfortable or uncomfortable, how one holds their spirit and physical being in safety, beauty and love is just not debatable

If wearing a hijab for Muslim women is outlawed then it's only fair if it is made equally illegal for women to shave our legs, since that can be seen as a symbol of oppression, as well. Both practices are bound to culture and do not threaten anyone's health.

Juliana Cottrell
Juliana Cottrell
United States

Searching

It appears the hijab has morphed, for some women, from a symbol of oppression to a symbol of courage and freedom. Courage to stand against the masses and freedom to define oneself. These are all loose observations of course and I must admit I am pushing through my own biases to write this.

I have struggled a great deal with this seeming contradiction. We have made such progress in the advancement of women and girls but there remains much work in front of us. Why then, I must ask myself, are some women fighting for their right to cover themselves, to rewind the advances we are working so hard to achieve?

I have remained frozen in this space of questioning and (admittedly) judgement. Yet, I have not sought to understand or find answers. Perhaps there will never be an answer that settles my soul or an understanding reached. Although I would welcome both. The important thing is that I move beyond this space to ask the questions and seek the answers. And maybe, at the end of the day, accept that I do not understand, or even agree, but learn to stand in my belief and try, as much as I can, to support you in yours.

rahina adamu
rahina adamu
Nigeria

Hijabist and non hijabist! Being a Muslim woman

This has been an ongoing debate for ages and with the world developing more and more into a global village I am sure that the discussion will be on for long. The question to me is what makes me a Muslim woman? Is it what I wear? Is it my believes? Or my faith?
I have been a hijabist and I have been accepted in many places and accomplish certain things I wanted to accomplish at that stage of my life and i have failed in certain areas and The same thing i have been a non hijabist and the same way I have been accepted in many places and accomplish a lot of things but also failed in certain areas . It was not the covering or not covering of my self that has made me who I am today, yes both experience have contributed to modelling who I am today and the choices I have made but it all boils down to the woman I am , it all boils down to the identity I have created for myself, the space I want in life and my believes.
For an educated , enlighten Muslim woman It's my right (human) to chose what i want to wear or how i want to portray my self, if I chose to be a hijabist or a non hijabist msulimah then my choice. Give me the chance as a muslimah to find my believes and to define my identity and to be happy with my choice.

Tags: The woman should be able to wear what she wants...