Religion and Spirituality: Religion & Feminism: Happily Married or Strange Bedfellows?

Add your Comment >

Masum Momaya, Curator
Masum Momaya, Curator
United States

Religion & Feminism: Happily Married or Strange Bedfellows?

No puns intended here, but I recently returned from a meeting of women's rights leaders in the Middle East and North Africa. During one of the session, there was a heated discussion about whether issues of sexuality and sexual rights should be "taken on" by women's movements in the region. Some said "absolutely" - that there were part and parcel to true democracy. Others argued for these issues to take a back seat, at least while more "basic" issues of political stability and economic welfare remain to be addressed. What do you think?

KSFM
United States

I think your poem is good, but perhaps you should change neutron to electron- neutrons have a neutral charge. electrons are the particles with a negative charge...

WESEI
WESEI
Nigeria

I worry a lot about how the course of women can change in this region if the women themselves do not desire such a change. How can women exclude themselves from political stability and the economy when these are the main areas we are less active? Has anyone thought that the drivers of these systems may be the reason for the unending problems? Is not now time for women to get more involved in politics and economy with contributions which may bring the critical and long-awaited solution. Truth is, the patrilineal African culture and religion do not encourage women to take on these "rights" issues directly, however, I believe they can still be addressed through a different approach_ engaging men in discussions about the women whom they believe they "control".

Tags: No tags found.