Temas actuales: Olympic Women/ What kind of Power?

Añada Su Comentario >

Deborah Costello
Deborah Costello
Estados Unidos

Olympic Women/ What kind of Power?

I have been noticing sports commentary of the Olympic Coverage. The headline for one article is, "Women Offer Greatest Triumphs." In another article, there is a long introduction about Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor with "biological clocks ticking louder than rock music." In a third, there is a long description about Chinese women gymnasts who are "as tiny as charms on a charm bracelet."

Has anyone else been taken by the contradictions in the images of the world's most powerful women in sports?

Masum Momaya, Curator
Masum Momaya, Curator
Estados Unidos

Gendered AND Racist Coverage

I agree that the media does seem inconsistent in terms of its coverage of male and female athletes. I also notice this in terms of U.S. athletes versus those from other countries, particularly China and the African nations. During the opening ceremonies, for examples, there were lots of direct and indirect illusions to the strangeness of garments and once the games started, body types have been heavily stereotyped.

Lalita Raman
Lalita Raman
Hong Kong

Empowering Media & its effects

Media plays such an important role in our day to day lives. Media coverage of an event, disaster, sports, personal lives, has such an empowering effect and brings these things miles away so close to one's eyes. Sadly this mode is misused by some involved in this field.

I agree with you that Media in its coverage of Olympics be it through TV Cameras, Newspaper articles tend to add their own nuances and some of them unnecessary and irrelevant. As you have rightly pointed out, the description of the gymnasts, sometimes even the camera focus on some of the woman participants is totally uncalled for.

Those involved in this field need to use this mode with discretion and diligence, especially given the enormity of its impact.

Education
Estados Unidos

Olympic Women

Tanks for providing the information Olympic Women are the best.

Women Dating Tips
http://www.myperfectbuddy.com

crystal8es
Albania

hi

I am a newbie here and just wanna say Hi to everyone. I am Crystal from Louisiana, US.

Etiquetas: No se encontraron etiquetas.

Iniciar sesión

RSS