- City, State: San Francisco, CA
- Geographic Location: North America
Stop Violence Against Women is an Amnesty International Campaign to address the staggering amount of violence against women worlwide. One in every 3 women has been beaten, coerced into sex, or otherwise abused in her lifetime.
In 2004, Amnesty International launched its global Stop Violence Against Women Campaign to help break the silence around this scandal, stop the violence, and create a world where women and girls are afforded their basic human rights.
Exhibit change by:
Across the globe, Amnesty International members have united to work towards making women's human rights a reality; the campaign is intended as a contribution to the efforts of the women's rights movements around the world.
To acheive its goals in helping to end violence against women, Amnesty International is:
* Urging governments and armed groups to end impunity for violence against women during times of conflict and post-conflict
* Demanding that governments abolish discriminatory laws and practices that perpetrate violence against women in the family and in the community
* Calling for the adoption of new laws and policies to provide women protection from violence
I'm passionate about:
Read the conversations in the Community Forum and add your voice.
The International Violence Against Women Act
The International Violence Against Women Act (I-VAWA) is a historic and unprecedented effort of the U.S. government to take leadership in establishing an overall and integrated approach to respond and address violence against women and girls internationally. The Act establishes a Coordinator to Combat Violence Against Women Internationally. The time is now to capitalize on this awareness and support and to enact this comprehensive vision to address the problem of violence against women.